- 1 and ½ lb of eggplant, unpeeled, cut into 1/2” cubes
- 5 tbsp of olive oil1 spanish onion, cubed2 large garlic cloves, chopped1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes Italian style
- 3 tbsp of red wine vinegar
- ½ cup Pine nuts
- 2 tbsp of drained capers
- 1/3 cup of chopped fresh basil
- ¼ tsp of red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp of thymeSalt and pepper
Add 2 tbsp of olive oil into pan on medium-high heat.
When oil is hot, add eggplant cubes into pan and ½ tsp of sea salt and cook for 10-12 minutes or until eggplant is golden brown. Transfer to a bowl when done.
Add 2 tbsp of olive oil into pan on medium-high heat. Add cubed onion and sprinkle red pepper flakes, mix thoroughly. Cook onion for 8-10 min until onion is golden brown. Add onions to bowl with eggplant.
Add 1 tbsp of olive oil into pan on medium-high heat. Add the diced garlic and thyme to pan for 1 min. Then add the diced tomatoes and bring sauce to a boil. Add capers and red wine vinegar let sauce simmer for 10-15 min.
The sauce should be chunky when done.
Add the sauce to the eggplants and onions, mix thoroughly. Mix in pine nuts and roughly chopped basil leaves.
Pairs Well With